Saturday 16 February 2013

Back to blogging: To Doeberl, and beyond

by Junta

We've had an impressively slow start to the year in terms of blogging.

In the Australian Open at North Sydney in January, we performed well overall:
- Moulthun performed solidly well as usual, finishing =2nd with 8.5/11
- I achieved my 2nd IM norm with 7/9, though I finished with two losses for 7/11
- Andrew came agonisingly close to breaking 2300 for the first time, scoring 7/11

In Canberra, Andrew and I are playing in two 9-round FIDE-rated events through February-March. The first of these is a round robin at the ANU Chess Club, with the field comprised of ACT players who won an event at the club last year, and higher rated invitees such as ourselves. The draw can be seen here and the crosstable here.

The second is the ACT Championships running over two weekends, for which we tied last year. I must say that I wish more of the top local players were able to play.

March 28-April 1 sees the 51st Doeberl Cup in Canberra - Fedja, who returns from his year of exchange in Europe this month, will join us playing there. The entries for the Premier section are looking great so far, with 11 GMs and 8 IMs out of the 44 entrants.

A couple of days after the Doeberl Cup, I will be flying off to Japan - I'll be studying there until February or so next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment